Thursday, September 17, 2009

Slacklining...for real...(metaphorically speaking).

Faith is like a slackline. I've slacklined before and I'm terrible at it. However, I also really enjoy slacklining. It builds balance and concentration and forces you to use muscles you didn't know you had. I've only done it between trees, but if you get really good, you can do it over crazy deep divides between climbing expeditions. The thing is if you look down, you'll never make it across one of those deep divides (At least, I wouldn't). You have to keep your eyes ahead and just keep putting one foot in front of the other, because when you are so far out on the slackline sometimes it's the turning back that would make you fall more than the prospect of actually going forward.

So last night, I crawled into bed and started to cry. I'm on the slackline and I don't dare look down. "But God..." this and "But God..." that. I said through my tears as I lay there and looked up at the ceiling. Then before I could get into the complaining I remembered Caleb and Joshua again. They took the Promise Land because they believed. God told them over and over again "Do not be discouraged, do not be afraid" and the Word says "God did great things." How can we expect God to do great things if we can do them in our own strength? Where is the adventure or excitement in that?

Still...I see things starting to unfold quickly in my life. Where there was a long season of silence, nary a wind even, all of a sudden things are starting to change so fast and I just can't figure it out or keep up with how it's all going to happen and I think that's the point. I think I'm just along for the crazy ride.

More to come.....!

No comments: