Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mommies and Daddies and Babies Oh My!

Today I had the privilege of spending the morning shadowing a teacher at a preschool. We were out on the playground and one little boy seemed to take a liking to me. He was a chubby little kid who will for sure make an amazing linebacker someday.

We were hanging out by the slide when he informed me, "Babies come out of Mommies tummy's."
"Yeeesss." I said cautiously. "That's right, they do."
"Babies come out of Mommies tummy's." He said again in a very matter of fact sort of way.
"Yes, that's right." I replied.
"Well, are you a Mommy?" He asked thoughtfully.
"No, I'm not a Mommy." I said.
"How come you're not a Mommy?" He asked.
"Because I don't have a Daddy." Is what I wanted to say, but this is a public preschool, and a very liberal state where anything goes. So I decided to tell him... "Because, I'm just not."

He seemed satisfied with that.

(Phew.)

5 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

Makes you feel like you dodged a bullet, doesn't it? You just never know what will come out of the mouths of babes.

Susan Skitt said...

Kids, they are so funny.

Susan Skitt said...

Oh, it gets better when my 8-year-old keeps insisting I have a baby in my belly. He will not take an answer that the "bulge" that he keeps patting with his little hand happens to be "leftovers" from him and his big brother! lol!

Colleen said...

Oh Susan...that is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Ha, the single woman with no children is a conundrum to most small children. Good answer.