Monday, October 20, 2008

Nothing Is Too Hard...

I am going to tell you a story. Actually, it's more than a story, it's the very true account of a good friend of mine and this is how it goes...

Ten years ago or so I got saved. Months afterwards I began remembering an old high school friend of mine that I had lost touch with. We were very close in high school. In fact she was one of my closest friends and it always bothered me that we had lost touch and that there was no way for me to find her. Whenever I though of her I found myself praying for her life and praying she would one day come to know the Living God. For ten years I continued to pray for her. Then somewhere along the line there came such a settling in me that even if I never saw her again, I knew that she would get saved and that I would see her in Heaven someday.

Then after all these years had passed, I found her on a major search engine one day. The photo of her and her family was so far away that I wasn't sure if it was her so I just asked her if in fact it was. I got no response for months. That was until a mutual friend of ours found me, out of the blue. (Or so it seemed.) Then within two weeks of our friend finding me, she responded to my email. So after ten+ years of no contact with these two people, we all found each other within two weeks.

Sure enough, in my conversation with her she told me that after going through years and years of all kinds of devastation, she realized her need for a savior and she and her husband received the Lord.

The two of us laughed ourselves silly with joy over the news of how God touched both of our lives in such real and yet separate ways. Here we were now, both grown women and we seemed to pick up right where we left off...only better.

But it doesn't end there.......

Last week she sent me an email. "I was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer." She said. She later explained that the doctor's were very concerned because they felt the cancerous cells were growing very fast. They knew the surgery had to take place as soon as possible. Now, she's only 31 years old. She's got five young boys at home and a husband. What to do?

I called her almost immediately. We talked and although I didn't want to come off sounding calloused or unfeeling there was a very strong assurance in me that this cancer was no match for God and in the kindest way I could, I explained that to her and she understood it.

Why do I believe that sickness is no match for God? Because His word says so and he wants us to believe Him. Believe in His promises. Trust Him. Trust in His goodness. No matter what happens.

"Then came the word of the Lord unto Jeremiah, saying, Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh--is there anything too hard for me?"--Jer. 32:26, 27

So there you go folks. What's too hard for God? Nothing. Absolutely nothing, but do we believe that? As we talked scriptures began to flood my brain. Scriptures that I didn't remember were in there. We were not depressed, not afraid, not worried, but full of hope in the Lord and the power of His might.

All week I continued in prayer as the Spirit led me until I found myself praying "Lord I ask that when they put her on the operating table and open her up, there would be no more cancer in her body."

Well, today she went in for her surgery. Twenty minutes later, the doctor came out and told her husband and her pastor, "I'm sorry for wasting your time." She said, "I've never seen anything like this, but the lesions are gone. There is nothing left for me to do surgery on."

God. Hears. Our. Prayers.

God. Keeps. His. Promises.

I don't know why some are healed and some are not. But I do know that no matter what comes our way He wants us to trust Him, with everything. Believe in Him, for anything. (In accordance with His will.)

And why? Because nothing is too hard for Him. No, nothing.

Author's Note: I also love this song and thought it was appropriate. I don't really care for the particular Bible Translation that's used in the video, but that's okay I guess.

6 comments:

Meme said...

WOW Colleen! That is amazing! Thank you for sharing what God is doing. It gives me hope which I have been asking for. Love you, Liza

Colleen said...

Liza, I hoped this would encourage you. It sure did for me. Love you too friend :)

~**Dawn**~ said...

That gave me chills, Colleen.

Colleen said...

Dawn- Tell me about!

Anonymous said...

There are many evidences of God's grace all around us. Amen, Colleen!

Colleen said...

AD- Got that right :)